Friday, April 10, 2009

Two Bunches.


Hmm. What we have here is a small – yes, small – portion of my Thursday CSA pickup. The huge green bushel (on the far right) in a clear bag that looks like a small tree is (believe it or not) brussel sprouts. So. Before you navigate away from this page in disgust, let me try to explain their existence in my kitchen. Some time ago, I suppose when my husband and I were children, back when the idea of “green” was repulsive, we were both forced by our loving parents to eat them, or else. This demand created a strong dislike, as they were often steamed, stinky, slimy and well, gross. I braved another purchase, a decade later, feeling less partial to another head of broccoli than usual. I googled, “how to cook brussel sprouts” and managed to find an easy recipe that made them taste nothing short of delicious. I am not lying! Take those tiny cabbages, toss them in olive oil on a baking sheet, generously salt and pepper them, and roast them to a crisp in an oven set to about 400 degrees for 35-45 minutes. You won’t be sorry. They come out crunchy and salty, like a good french fry. Just don’t forget to flip them over halfway through. If you like them steamed – feel free to send a good recipe. For now, this is the only way I know they’re more than tolerable…

Which brings me to this mini-tree on my kitchen counter. Well, I got over-excited when I saw that the sprouts were in season and actually ordered two bunches of them. (Other bunch not pictured.) I expected to get a bag full of the round heads, and instead got the whole bushel. (Remember when I mentioned that you get the whole vegetable? They are not cutting corners over at that CSA.)

The problem was, the sprouts on the stems were about pea size, whereas I’m used to golf ball size. I’d received more leaves than tiny sprouts and no idea what to do about it. I asked the manager and he explained to me that brussel sprouts are no different, botanically speaking, than broccoli or cabbage. What I held in my arms could be steamed, sautéed, roasted or turned into a salad. This means I have a lot of food and a lot of options, thus, a generous trade. And for $6.00 an arm load, they’re a deal. I’ll get back to you when I figure out a creative recipe, but do try the one above. You won’t be sorry (unless you are scarred beyond repair from certain childhood memories).

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin