Friday, April 10, 2009

A Good Friday.



Since April brings in spring, showers and is quite the egg-centered month, I thought I’d introduce the meaning of my blog title to you. Here's my brief introduction:

It’s always a little bit of a thrill to crack open a large farm fresh egg and discover that had it been born, it would’ve had a twin. Twin yolks are sort of rare: one egg in a thousand is a twin. The special thing about the twin yolks, and the relevance to this blog, is that it is very rare to find the double yolk in store bought eggs. I guess that’s just one of the many surprises that come with buying local, buying fresh. (Another one being when you buy a vegetable you get the whole vegetable… I’d forgotten carrots had tops before my first purchase. I’d almost forgotten they were pointy, too.) The larger the egg, the more likely it is to have two yolks, and the farmer’s markets and CSA’s (http://www.athenslocallygrown.net/ ) have some of the largest eggs around.

I won’t hamper you down with any double entendres that come with the symbolism of the egg, the month of April, and the new beginning of my blog. It's relevant to me because April is when my husband and I swear off all grocery stores and all restaurants and eat whatever local farms have to offer. The purpose of this blog is to document the failures and flops and the (hopefully…) successes, too. I’ll probably be doing most of the cooking, (and talking) and -sorry- didn't go to any fancy culinary school. I hope you won't hold it against me or my blog. My palate serves me well, and I’ll refrain from posting any recipes that are anything less than delicious. (And I’ll warn you about the major flops.) You can laugh at me and my endeavors, because that's what this is all about: trying something new and learning from the inedible dishes along the way.


So, if you see me at any restaurants around town, I promise I’m just having a Terrapin. And if you catch my husband lurking in the corners of a restaurant, or slumped down in his carseat at the drive -thru, breaking the rules of the creed, feel free to egg his face on my behalf, preferably with a double yolker.

Happy eating and happy Easter.
Blog Widget by LinkWithin