Tuesday, April 14, 2009

The Ache.


Well, I suppose I should be honest with whomever reads this little blog of mine. My hope is this upcoming confession falls on sympathetic ears, overworked kidneys and hyperactive hearts: I really, really, really miss Diet Coke. (Isn't the stuff supposed to not be addictive anymore?) Sometimes, I get The Ache. Oooh man do I get it bad. My gums want to feel the fizz, my heart wants to race with caffeine, my stomach wants that caramelized pang of fullness and my throat wants to guzzle with a capitol "G" some Aspartamene and Sodium Benzoate.

Here's the mystery: it isn't a sugar craving. Can't be, I've got some chocolate stashed in the freezer. (It's organic, I think...) Nor is it a salty desire either, plenty of that around too. Perhaps a psychological association with feeling wakeful, motorized and calorie free? Who knows. The fact that I still want it at times (oh sososo much) makes me raise my eyebrows in suspicion. I can swear under oath right now that I've not tasted a drop in over a month. The cravings should be out of my system but instead they linger on, plaguing me. Sorry to say, I don't think I'll be getting to the bottom of this one (without getting sued) but I will report back to you at the end of May if I still haven't given The Ache the shake.

My dad used to say that if you quit drinking Diet Coke you'll drop five pounds in less than a week due to the emission of sodium (which causes water retention). Since I started giving it the cold shoulder, I've felt my natural waistline returning, and not with a vengeance. It's hard to prove when you have an appetite like I do and no scale in sight, but you could try it. Maybe you'll see he was on to something.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin