Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Cravings And Yearnings.



Ever pick up a Vogue magazine and sigh over the unattainable, yet fabulous shoes that cost upwards of a thousand dollars?  Or, fantasize about an outfit as you gaze at exquisitely dolled up mannequins in store windows?  It doesn't have to be either, I'm assuming most of my readers are female.  But in case I'm wrong, men: ever want something divine that you can't have?  My guess is we all at times have pined over something out of reach, which, in my case this hungry morning, is Salmon Hash with Dilled Creme Fraiche, direct from the Cooking Fresh magazine I have been drooling over since I woke up.  It's funny, I've owned this magazine since "Fall 2008" and I don't think I'll ever let it go.  It's my favorite cooking magazine, though it seems I only need one issue.  I can't bring myself to buy another until I get around to getting through these recipes.  Moderation is best for me, as I might implode with desire from owning just one issue.

But oh.  Salmon.  Creme Fraiche (you know how I love you).  Capers.  Dill.  Poached eggs. For breakfast.  I would whip you up in a flash, devour you even faster were the salmon you call for accessible, and were it not Wednesday again.  Wednesday.  The day of no more ingredients.   The day of skimpy pizza.  At least we might have a red sauce this week.  There is one fat tomato fit to burst, perched on my windowsill, though it may not exist after lunch.  

So I sit, sigh, and proceed to fill my morning with an unspeakable longing for that which I cannot create.  I'm ashamed of myself, it's true.  I should try to make the local lifestyle look appealing, not marred with cravings and yearnings for wild caught smoked salmon (with capers and creme fraiche).  

Perhaps if this recipe appeals to you like it does to me, you could make it and tell me if it's any good, tell me if it's worth drooling over.  If I can't have it, someone else should. It's only right.  All I ask is that you buy wild caught salmon and not farm raised if you can afford it.  (Click the link.  It provides helpful information over the question of sustainable fish practices vs. nutritional value in wild salmon.) In fact, I might do the same... I know a guy...

The recipe is here should you so desire it.  Someone gave it a lame review, but I am ignoring them. We don't pay attention to the naysayers - in life or in cooking reviews that look mouthwatering. I've had a dish that was quite similar and thought it was heavenly.  

I'll be back in later to report on what we managed to scrounge up for dinner.  We'll make it interesting (John can't skimp out and eat cereal because we're out of milk).  We have a little bit of bowtie pasta, garlic and that ruby red tomato.  So, maybe this?: 



You'll be the first to know.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the very clever, and eye-catching twinyolks logo. What can I say...it immediately caught my eye! You must have a resident artist.
I'm going for the salmon with dill dish which happen to be two of my favorite combinations. By the way, a friend of mine said she loves reading your blog every day. She noticed the new logo as well. Keep it up as you have several devoted followers.

A.Kelley said...

Thank you! Whoever you are! My sweet husband drew this for me - I DO have a resident artist :)

ENJOY your salmon and dill and thanks for the encouraging words.

anna j said...

Wow--that is kind of crazy, because I JUST now noticed the lovely logo myself :-) But I was going to comment with a bit of a sighing longing . . . your post makes me renew my disappointment with my own culinary experiences today: I refused to buy groceries and did not have any motivation to experiment, it being just me, so I just made what I have gotten pretty good at lately: a nice one-person pot of oatmeal :-)

anna j said...

I did it again, I think . . . posted a comment too hastily, so that it didn't appear!
Anyhow, I wanted you to know that I have been ever so patiently awaiting the update as to what your menu ended up being :-)

A.Kelley said...

oooh, i hate to hold you in suspense, we DID have the No Cook Pasta Sauce and it was awesome - recipe coming soon! its VERY easy

Blog Widget by LinkWithin