Friday, July 31, 2009

Life In The Sticks.



My original plan was to write more during the farm sitting days. Seems the main thing I've been doing more of over the past two weeks is drinking coffee. I'm sorry. The days out here have been unpredictable, long and pretty dang exhausting. I don't want to sound like a whiner, I love it out here and I think you would too. So, in case you are interested in ever running an animal farm, here's a little preview of what to expect...

- Pigs and chickens must be fed, even in the rain.
- Pigs and chickens smell worse after a heavy rainstorm.
-Risk of falling into pig mud is worse after said rainstorm.


- Wonder is everywhere.


(a moth...but what kind?)


- Companions make all the difference.


-They (sort of) make you feel safer, when surrounded by unsettling sights.



- Hard work makes relaxing much more gratifying. Relaxing is best with a little friend.



And last but certainly not least...

- Country livin calls for country food.


Delicious sauteed sweet corn with carmelized onions, tomatoes & lightly fried okra. For the best results, gather heirloom tomatoes from your farmer's market and the freshest corn & okra you can find. This recipe is ideal for summertime and exhaustion. It may not seem impressive, but it is, I promise. Check it out HERE.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those are the cutest companions! SOOO cute!
(ps-I got your note :)
APettit

Anonymous said...

Great post!!!

anna j said...

Oh, wow--this delightful post reminds me of a children's book . . . maybe we should write one together :-)
The okra dish sounds lovely--and makes me wonder if we can find good okra around here. Mom and I are still getting amazing produce from the farm, though I haven't put any recent photos from it up on my blog. I should do so, now that I think about it.
Have you by any chance tried my mom's coffeecake recipe yet? I'm getting quite hooked on her different varieties of it :-)
Thanks for your inspiring blog posts!
~anna

Blog Widget by LinkWithin